About Me

My photo
Liverpool, United Kingdom
I'm a student just trying to get by and promote my illustrative work. I'm interested in graphic novels, cartoons and concept art, always looking for criticism and more work to gander at! If you'd like to contact me my email address is Coldcoldethyl@googlemail.com

Wednesday 30 November 2011

Update at long last!

Sorry for the lack of posts recently, will have some nice new posts over teh course of today!

I'm currently reworking how my writing is being done as well as my new logo for the website. I've been playing with various fonts from different sites and have ended up picking this as my Logo:

at least for now anyway. I wanted to captyre the norse feeling as well as the coldness of the environment. I realise that in the long run the icy border may not work but i'm currently learing illustrator and hope to have a more multi background friendly version soon. I also went for teh mask idea as it looks interesting and captures the character of hell fairly well and simply.


while at thought bubble I asked the good folks at self made hero to critique my portfolio, one of the pictures Rob Davis critiqued in particular was this one. I liekd this image originally but he pointed out the lack of contrast as well as the lack of depth in the image.




This is my attempt at fixing this, I want to keep the neony effect within the image but also keep it dark and make the lights actually look like they are lighting things up. I feel that this change has actually helped the overall look of page 2 as it matches my other images.

I also decided to scrap this image:


As I felt it was too bright and the blue set a different tone to the other images, as well I didn't want the characters face to be constantly focused on. I did like her body language though and decided to focus on her feet. This character wouldn't just decided to walk la-de-da into a cave, she'd be nervous about it and her feet would show this the most adequately.


Again this didn't work, but I played around with the contrast again as well as effects and then placed it in the overall image, this is how it's turned out:


I think this captures the atmosphere I'd envisioned with this page, stood at a precipice and the contrast if warmth and cold. I will be adding words next.

my next update will have this weeks and last weeks life drawing work.

No comments:

Post a Comment